The Nexus 9000 family provides a secure, scalable and on-premises infrastructure at a lower cost and with more flexibility. As today application scaling and consistence performance are mandatory in modern networking, Nexus 9000 series features Cisco Cloud Scale ASIC technology providing a foundation with unparalleled capabilities and multi speed functionality and encryption for future-ready growing applications.
These switches enable Deep visibility, security Industry-leading security and visibility with streaming telemetry, advance analytics, and line-rate encryption (MACsec), and efficient troubleshooting through the network.
Also, Nexus 9K is an open, programable and extensible switch which can automate the network tasks and offer full automation with SDN by benefiting from Cisco ACI (Application Centric Infrastructure). With unified ports, Nexus 9000 switches consolidate LAN and SAN network and it could be managed by Cisco DCNM within one platform.
Nexus 9000 family is included Nexus 9200, Nexus 9300 and Nexus 9500 series switches. All these series provide 10/40/100 Gbps of bandwidth. Cisco provides two modes of operation for Cisco Nexus 9K Series Switches. It can be deployed on Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (Cisco ACI) or Cisco NX-OS mode. Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (Cisco ACI) platform provides automated, policy-based, systems-management approach.
The Cisco Nexus 9000 empowers by NX-OS which is a purpose-built data center operating system designed for performance, resiliency, scalability, manageability, and programmability at its foundation. It provides a strong and comprehensive feature set that meets the demanding requirements of virtualization and automation in present and future data centers.
Nexus 9000 Features
This switch series benefits from following features:
- High performance and scalability
- The platform provides wire-rate Layer 2 and 3 switching on all ports, with up to 7.2 Tbps
- With up to 40 MB of shared buffer
- Virtual Extensible LAN (VXLAN)
- The platform offers native line-rate VXLAN routing.
- The Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) Ethernet Virtual Private Network (EVPN) control plane
- Hardware and software high availability
- Patching ensures undisruptive upgrade in most cases.
- The switches use hot-swappable Power-Supply Units (PSUs) and fans with N+1 redundancy.
- Purpose-built NX-OS operating system with comprehensive, proven innovations
- Open programmability supports built-in DevOps automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, and Ansible.
- Cisco NX-API supports a common programmatic approach across Cisco Nexus switches.
- Power-on auto provisioning (POAP)
- The onboard Python scripting engine
Nexus 9800 Series switches
The Cisco Nexus 9800 Series chassis architecture can scale from 57 Tbps to 115 Tbps with a combination of various first-generation line cards and fabric modules. Each line card slot in the chassis can support line cards that offer 400GE or 100GE or 10/25/50GE ports.
The Cisco Nexus 9800 8-slot chassis supports eight line card slots and three power supply trays. The Cisco Nexus 9800 Series supports a 36-port 400G QSFP-DD line card. The QSFP-DD ports are also backward compatible with QSFP28 and QSFP+ modules. This line card provides up to 14.4 Tbps capacity with at least seven fabric modules.
If the chassis is configured with eight fabric modules, the chassis would provide 7+1 fabric module redundancy to this line card. This line card also supports line rate MACsec encryption on all ports. Furthermore, each 400G port also supports 2x 100G, 4x 100, 4x 25, and 4x 10G breakout options.
Cisco Nexus 9000 License
Cisco Nexus 9000 license can be ordered and purchased for enabling all mentioned device features.
Cisco Nexus 9000 Smart License
Cisco Nexus 9000 switches smart license could be enabled in these devices. The network administrator should purchase the Nexus 9000 license in his/her smart account website then the device could be registered by connecting to Cisco SSM through the Internet. Also, Cisco Nexus 9000 PLR license could be consumed for device activation once and forever without any connection on the Internet.